Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Delivery Story

June 16, 2010 was the day that I decided to be induced. Let me make a few things clear first though. I made this decision for a number of reasons.

1. I was 40 weeks 4 days pregnant when I gave birth. The hospital doesn’t allow you to go beyond a week.

2. Yuuki was not engaged, though she was facing the right direction.

3. I was 3 cm and 75% effaced by this time.

4. I was GBS positive, and I wanted to be sure I would get the medicine for it on time.

I would not advise going the inducing route unless it’s necessary, and it doesn’t seem like it is going to happen on its own.

We arrived at the hospital at 9:45, and after I filled out the required paperwork, were shown to my room. They had me set up on Pitocin to start contractions and another medication for my GBS. I was put on a portable IV so I could walk around as needed. They also attached a device that monitored Yuuki’s heartbeat to my stomach in case of emergency. About every hour or so, the nurses would return to up my dose of Pitocin so my labor would progress naturally.

At 1:30, they came in to check my progress. At that time, I was about 4 centimeters. However, what I was not expecting was that they were going to break my water at the time. It was completely without warning, and was easily one of the most uncomfortable parts of the process. They break the water with a thick stick with a hook at the end. Afterwards, they push on your stomach to get everything out.

After my water was broken, I must have gone into some form of shock, because I was shaking uncontrollably after that. The nurses had to bring blankets in so I could warm up. I was fine after a while, but I wish I would have had some idea of what was going to happen.

At 4:00, I asked for an epidural. I had hoped to deliver without medication, but at this point I knew that I probably would not be able to deliver the way I had wanted. Personally, it did not hurt that much. I had to sit on the edge of my hospital bed, feet hanging over the edge, and kind of bend over and tuck my head down while the anesthesiologist administered the epidural. There was, of course, pressure from the needle, but once it was done, I was not in any pain.

After receiving the epidural, I progressed pretty quickly. The next time they came into the room, I was 10 centimeters. They inclined me for an hour in order to allow Yuuki to descend and engage, which she still had not done at this point.

Now for the last part of the adventure. At 9:22, when things were not progressing as they had liked, they told me to start pushing. I had to push the top part of my body forward, tuck my chin into my chest, and push. Yuuki was born at 9:49 pm at 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 inches long.

This is where I’ll stop for now. I’ll have a later post on my feelings after the delivery. Feel free to ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment