Thursday, September 9, 2010

Crazy Prices

So, I’m currently looking into getting a new travel system. I love the one we have now, don’t get me wrong, but it was used, and it would be best to buy a new one ASAP.

Currently, Babies “R” Us is having a trade-in sale that I’m hoping to get in on, but it’s impossible to find something at a decent price, even with the 25% off.

Now, I understand that part of what you’re paying for is the materials of the product. So, I would not just be paying for the product, but the plastic, cloth, and the production cost.

However, I also personally believe that items that are needed and not just wanted should not be so expensive. If you have a young child, you need a car seat. It’s not some optional item should you decide that it would just be easier if you had one; it’s required.

I’m currently stuck between a few different travel systems. I originally thought it would be better to just get a car seat, but some of the car seats alone are worth about as much as a travel system. I thought I was going to stick with the plan, but now I’m not so sure again.

The price issue is the same with formula and diapers. I don’t understand why it should cost 20+ dollars to buy a large can of formula. Again, if you’re not breastfeeding, it’s not an option. With diapers, honestly, it depends on brand. If you look, you can find good deals. Same with formula, of course, but even those brands seem overpriced.

Truth is, you will always need items for baby, overpriced or not. I suppose it just comes down to the lesser of two evils. I’d rather spend extra money for a good product than less money on a bad product. I guess I made my choice.

7 comments:

  1. If your having a hard time finding a good car seat we love the "Evenflo Triumph Advance Deluxe Convertible Car Seat" It's about 120$ but it has been the best we have found and has great reviews. It has back facing for up to 35lbs and that was a big plus for us. I've gotten 2 travel systems, 2 strollers and have had 3 car seats so far... Needless to say we have made a few returns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was just looking at that car seat in the Babies "R" Us catalog for their trade-in sale. With your recommendation, we'll probably end up buying it. Do you think it would work well for a 3 month old? We have an infant car seat and it's great, Yuuki has always slept in it, but with her already being 11.8 pounds at her 2 month check-up, I wanted to find something that would work for when she's older too. The travel systems where the car seats only work until 22 pounds don't impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm sure it would work very well for her! Val started using his at 15lbs I think. It has that insert that that helps fit smaller babies that is nice. Val still likes using it at 23lbs.
    I ended up buying it after I read a story about a lady being in a wreck with her little girl in it. The car rolled and was in bad shape.. She ended up in the hospital but her 3 month old was 100% okay. She was in shock but other than that she had taken no damage from the crash. Needless to say I was sold! We got the one that is the sandbox color I think. We have felt very safe with him in it so far. As for Val he seems to like it about as much as a baby can like a car seat.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I read a story very similiar to that in the comments on Babies "R" Us. It was the one car seat that didn't seem to have many, if any, bad reviews. The one I'm looking at has a pattern called 'Oh!', I guess because of the circles. Anyway, thank you for the recommendation. It was a huge help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a side note. I know everyone wants to keep the covers of carseats clean. This gets more difficult when the babies get older.Some companies have replacement covers you can buy, but not all of them. Take time now to make a pattern of your car seat cover. That way, after several washings, you can make a new one. They loose their comfort level with time. Then you can refresh your pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Formula and carseats and all things baby are priced according to brand pretty much. You're not just buying the product, but the name. Like with clothes. But the brands have gotten so much market off their names now it's expensive. Just like with weddings, and funerals, it's something that's going to happen, and they can make their money off of it like that.

    As for car seats, stick with your stroller, trade in the infant seat if you like and buy a convertible car seat. They're all supposed to meet the same federal safety ratings, so then you just have to decide on looks and comfort. Check out the NHTSA.gov site for ratings if you'd like to further your investigation. I know the Evenflo Triumph has high markings in pretty much all the categories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll look into copying the pattern of the car seat cover. I don't have many sewing skills, but I can defniitely learn.

    I understand that I would be paying for brand too, I just find it unnecessary. It's ridiculous. I find weddings to be on an entirely different level than parenting. A woman doesn't need a Vera Wang gown, but a bottle fed baby needs formula.

    I'm considering just trading in the car seat, because that's really the only thing we need. Yuuki is already out-growing her infant car seat, both height-wise and weight. The one we have now can only hold up to 20 pounds, and she's definitely gained more since her 2 month appointment. We do plan on getting a new stroller too if we can find a good one.

    Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete