Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hello, Motherhood! Goodbye, Modesty!

Warning: Post will contain some information that is TMI.
It’s very true. From the second that you get pregnant, any sense of modesty you have will be out the window. Now, I’m not saying that you’ll suddenly start stripping in public or will become a nudist, but a degree of your modesty will be gone. As someone who is uncomfortable wearing a shirt that is a centimeter too low-cut, this is saying a lot.

Being pregnant usually brings along an ability to go to the bathroom five times (or more) in thirty minutes. I’m the type who can’t stand when someone is in the stall next to me, but I quickly had to let go (pun unintentional) of my pride and just do it. Soon enough, I no longer cared if somebody was in the next stall over. Being pregnant does not give the ability to hold it in for long.

When I entered the hospital to be induced, I wasn’t prepared for the onslaught. Upon being shown to my room, I was instructed to put on a baggy, thin hospital gown, wearing nothing underneath. This is because the doctor regularly has to check for progress, which is so much easier if nothing is in the way. Yes, it is humiliating, but is it as humiliating as the first time I stepped into doctor’s office and I had to have a yearly exam? No, not at all.

Then, of course, baby is born. Once I began to push, my doctor and a few nurses were everywhere. Someone was constantly looking to see how much further you have to go before baby is born. Oh, and sorry if TMI, but don’t be surprised if a baby isn’t the only thing that is pushed out. It happens. It happened to me (it was actually something that I was worried might happen), but honestly, I didn’t find it that humiliating, because I knew about it and it’s completely normal.

Please forgive me if this post grossed you out in the slightest. It’s the unfortunate truth of being pregnant, and I’m not afraid to give a friendly warning to those out there who have never experienced it. And please keep in mind that just because it happened to me, it doesn’t mean it will happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment